Wednesday, March 07, 2001

7th March 2001

Well we are into day three of The Posies-fest and so far it has been
a vibe. I was surprised when I turned up at Dingwalls to collect the
tickets on Monday afternoon and saw that the gig was not an
"unplugged" but a full band performance which was something to look
forward to even more. Me and Stevie B went " up west" to look at
some vastly over priced technology in the shape of digital pianos.
Nice lunch and then on to meet Rueben down the NFT for a few swiftys
then over to the east end for a few more and then back on the tube
to go to the gig. Travelcards are value for money. Met up with
'arris and Frankie B in the Fuckpig and Firkin. We saw the support
band who were called Cosmic Rough Riders who are signed to Alan
McGee's new label Poptones. McGee was the head honcho at Creation
records, the label that gave us Oasis (thanks!). Verdict on the
Cosmic Rough Riders: Another Scottish band that sound like Teenage
Fanclub but who will probably become huge. The Posies were great and
played a couple of the oldies and a few newies as well as breaking
into rock classics for a bar or two. Nice version of Elvis
Costello's "Chelsea" which was a tribute to all the great bands that
have played at "the hole in the floor" called Dingwalls.
Tuesday afternoon was spent down the NFT courteousy of Rueben
watching "Meet The Parents". Not really my bag usually but Bobby D
very rarely gives a duff performance so it was worth it just to see
him. From there it was on to Upstairs At The Garage for the second
Posies gig. This was the two main guitarists doing individual
acoustic sets featuring non-Posies material. Some good, some not so
good but I had to go for fear of missing something great.
Wednesday was the final show at Notting Hill Atrs Centre which was
hosting a Poptones night so I arrived at 9.00 to be told by the
bouncer that unless I was on the guest list I had to wait in a queue
outside. As you can probably understand I was not too pleased but in
my eagernes to see the band I took my place in line and met Cujo Kev
and Benny Boy there. It was only after Cujo Kevs girlfreind was
informed that we would have to stand outside for half hour in
addition to the fifteen minutes that I decided I was not going to be
treated like a mug so I said my goodbyes and left Posie-less. The
day I ever give preference to non-paying guests over paying fans at
my gigs will be a cold day in hell. I was absolutely disgusted and
will be telling Mr McGee as much when I put pen to paper this
evening and write him a little note. Oh well at least it wasn't cold
or pissing down. Thanks for tuning in to the Posies information
line, next installment will be back to King Of Pop information,
that's me and not the freak with the little nose who has been crying
at the Oxford Union this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home