Sunday, October 29, 2006

2nd April 2001

I begin this week in what can only be described as "fine fettle"
after a somewhat satisfying weekend. I went up to Liverpool early
Friday and arrived at two in the afternoon and went for a swift half
in "The Crown" whilst I waited for my mate Tony Griff to come and
pick me up. I don't know whether I have mentioned them in these
pages before but Tony Griff is a member of a band called "The Real
People". I have known Tony for ages and we hung out together
pre-FGTH in Liverpool. I did my first studio session with Tony in
the very early 80's when he was in another band. "The Real People"
are fucking great. They are one of two bands (you know the other by
now) who make me feel like a fan. When I see them play live I sing
along to all the tunes and the fact that I knows these guys makes it
even better. I popped over to see their studio in Birkenhead and
listen to some of their new stuff and then got to sit in on a little
unplugged rehearsal and heard the new tunes played live. They should
be huge and the fact that you don't know anything about this band is
a crime. I only hope they get the success they deserve with their
new project. Tony dropped me off at my parents for dinner and then I
went into town for a few beers with a few of the chaps. One of the
guys, Colin, is the older brother of Paul, my mate from when I was a
teenager, and I was meeting him for the first time in nearly twenty
years. Colin was a punk and he used to turn me and Paul and our
other mates onto the top tunes of the late seventies. Ultravox
(pre-Midge), Magazine, The Ruts, Simple Minds, Television and loads
of others I can't remember now. He is still mad and it was great to
see him again. We went to a few pubs and sank a few beers and I got
home about one. I didn't want to go mental because next morning was
the Liverpool v Manchester United game and it was an early kick-off
and I didn't fancy football with hangover again. My mate Anthony
arrived at my Mum's for breakfast and we shot out to the match, just
managing a swift one in The Flat Iron before kick off. For those who
don't know about the rivalry between Liverpool and Man U then I
should explain. We hate them and the feeling is mutual. The
atmosphere was boss and we won 2-0 with two fantastic goals. A funny
thing happened at the match which I should share with you. Where I
sit in the ground there is a family of four that have the seats next
to me. On this occasion the little boy was sitting next to me and he
must be about 12 or 13. During the game he was getting very animated
and had to be told off by his Mum for shouting at the Man U players.
It was very funny listening to this kid shouting "Shut It!! You Manc
Scum!!" at the top of his voice when David Beckham was complaining
to the referee. It was very nice to see such enthusiasm in one so
young!!! Left Liverpool and got home about 6.30 and went straight
out with Mrs Nash and a few friends to my daughters school for a
quiz night. We didn't win but there were loads of boffins there so
we didn't feel too bad. I was on TV on Saturday when the "X-rated
Top Ten" programme was on but I haven't seen it because I taped the
footy instead. Let me know your thoughts if you saw it. Phew! that
was a lot wasn't it? See ya next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home